Attempting Healthy Vegan Oreos


If anyone follows The Little Blog of Vegan your are aware of how easy it is to lust over the glorious foods and recipes she continues to amaze us with on a regular basis. I love to choose from vegan recipes as my body doesn’t agree with a lot of animal products and the recipes she posts are always amazing. However, it is also very easy to never get around to making any of them. Well today I was feeling a little adventurous and did exactly that, lets just say it was a little adventure for me to even begin baking, which is why I thought I would bring you all along to follow me in my journey. The recipe for this is extremely easy which is something that will always catch my eye as when it comes to anything in the kitchen I am usually terrible and honestly just really lazy. Without further ado lets get stuck in. 

Ingredients - Chocolate Biscuit
  • 25g of Cacao Powder 
  • 20g of Sugar *
  • 100g of Plain Flower 
  • 1/4 tsp of Baking Powder 
  • Pinch of Salt 
  • 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract 
  • 35g of Coconut Oil 
  • 2 tbsp of Maple Syrup 
  • 3 tbsp of Almond Milk 
The original recipe does call for coconut sugar however I did have to swap it out for normal sugar as I can’t get my hands on it where I live, courtesy of living in a small town. 

Ingredients - Cream Filling 
  • 30g of Icing Sugar 
  • 1 can of Coconut Cream 

Method - Chocolate Biscuit 
Step 1. Preheat oven to 145 degrees Celsius and prepare a baking tray with baking paper. 
Step 2. In a bowl mix together sugar, salt, cacao powder, baking powder and plain flower. 


Step 3. Once dry ingredients are combined, add coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla and mix. 
Step 4. Once the ingredients are combined into a dough, roll into a ball and place in the fridge for 40 minutes. 
Step 5. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll flat with a rolling pin. Using a cookie cutter cut out the desired shape. Or alternatively if you are like me and would like to move a little quicker roll the dough into 20 cent piece size balls and press down onto a baking tray using a fork. 
Step 6. Place the cookies into the oven for 8-10 minutes and wait very impatiently for your goodies to be ready. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool. 


Method - Cream Filing 
I will admit this is where I strayed from the recipe a little and started with the correct measurements, however added a little more icing sugar and coconut milk than specified to create a consistency that I preferred a little more. 

Step 1. Scrape out solid coconut cream from the can and add to a bowl with icing sugar. Whisk together until the mixture becomes thick. 
Step 2. Add a teaspoon of filling onto the inside of a cookie and place another cookie on top. 
Step 3. This step is completely optional but I did sprinkle a little bit of icing sugar onto the completed cookies just to add a little more of a decorative feel. 
Step 4. Eat and enjoy. 

As someone who is usually more than a little challenged when it comes to baking, I found this recipe so incredibly easy to execute. Not to mention the end result is absolutely scrumptious. The Little Blog of Vegan really outdid herself with this recipe, I really recommend that everyone has a go at baking these Healthy Vegan Oreos. 

I hope you enjoyed reading all about my little baking adventure. The original recipe and its lovely creator can be found at the following places; 



Instagram: @thelittleblogofvegan 

I hope you have a lovely day xx 

P.S. You can find me on social media: 


Instagram: @blendandspend 

Comments

Popular Posts